left 3send us a postcard wings

right 2 send us a postcard wings

tasmania news pageheaders

Fried rice: cooker blamed for mall fire

Fires pixabay

A faulty rice cooker was apparently behind a fire which damaged a shop in Hobart's CBD on Monday night.

A neighbouring business owner raised the alarm when he noticed smoke pouring out of Sup Express in Wellington Walk around half past 6.

Firefighters cut their way through a roller door and extinguished the blaze, which was already somewhat dampened by internal sprinklers.

The fire did around $40,000 damage and the adjacent area had some flooding due to the hose and sprinklers.